It's always funny that we determine the end of winter through Ground Hog's day but our furry friend saw his shadow, so us Hot Logic friends in the north have another 6 weeks of winter ahead of us. Maybe it is the extra foot of snow we got over the weekend or the very low temps but I decided to try a soup that my sister recommended.
Now this recipe isn't a prepare in your Hot Logic recipe but it did come out great! I didn't really follow the given recipe but more so the directions and made it to taste for me. The recipe is very simple and packed full of flavor.
Another comment I noticed lately were requests for gluten free or vegan options so I will try to add some different variations to recipes.
Egg Roll Soup
- For Vegan options, add mushrooms vs Italian sausage and vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
- Brown Italian sausage in a pan, when done, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the sausage grease, saute down a small sweet onion (diced).
- When the onions start to look clear, add in 2 tsp of grated ginger and 3 cloves of garlic (pressed), 6-8 cups of chicken stock and the sausage.
- When the stock has reached a warmer temp, add in half a head of cabbage (sliced) and a cup or two of shredded carrots.
- When the soup has settled, add two tbsp. of toasted sesame oil.
- Let the pot simmer for 10-15 minutes.
When the soup is done, I of course had to try a small bowl but then portioned out enough servings to re-heat in the Hot Logic or freeze for later.
What is your go to Winter soup? Let us know if you try making this by leaving a comment!